Grilled Chicken Quesadilla Sandwich
Flavors of the Southwest and Eastern Europe combine in this unique recipe to boast an amazingly sumptuous sandwich. My recipe for this Grilled Chicken Quesadilla Sandwich was a Top 10 Winner at the 2014 World Sandwich Championships. While the familiar taste of a Quesadilla make up the base to this dish, they are enhanced by the smokiness of the grill, smoked Chipotle peppers and a rich, yet refreshing Ajvar relish of Red Bell Peppers, Eggplant and Garlic. Toss aside the tortillas and dig in!
Here’s what you’ll need:
4 Chicken Breasts
1 package Taco Seasoning
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Red Onion
2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
4 Ciabatta Buns (sliced in half)
½ cup Margarine
1 Tbsp. Croix Valley Garlic Barbecue Booster
1 cup Sour Cream
2 Tbsp. Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
1 cup Ajvar Relish (Eastern European relish of garlic, peppers and eggplant)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
¼ head Iceberg Lettuce, shredded
1 medium Tomato, diced.
- Lightly oil chicken breasts and coast generously with Taco Seasoning.
- Grill chicken over medium grill (about 350⁰F) until internal temperature reaches 165⁰F. Let rest 5 minutes then slice into strips.
- Julienne peppers and onion. Fry in oil until vegetables start to brown. Cover and set aside.
- Make 4 piles of chicken (as flat as possible) on baking sheet. Top with fried vegetables, ½ cup of cheese, a dash of taco seasoning. Transfer to covered grill and cook until cheese begin to brown.
- Combine margarine and garlic seasoning. Blend well.
- Spread margarine garlic mixture on inside of ciabatta buns. Grill until they start to brown.
- Combine sour cream and chipotle in adobo sauce. Blend well.
- Spread Ajvar relish on inside of bottom bun.
- Place chicken/vegetable/cheese stacks on top of Ajvar relish.
- Top with shredded lettuce and diced tomato..
- Spread chipotle mixture on inside of top bun and top off sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 4 sandwiches