The flavors of the grill don’t need to be relegated to the mid-afternoon and evening time slots; rather an early morning fire can infuse the day with an invigorating dance of the flames to make the meal a hit. My recipe for Grilled Chorizo Breakfast Burritos makes for one such killer dish that’ll have you anticipating your next rise-and-shine opportunity to fire up the grill. The heat of the grill turns the tortilla golden brown with a perfectly crispy outer shell that is Tex-Mex perfection!
Grilled Chorizo Breakfast Burrito
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Anaheim Pepper
- ½ pound ground Chorizo Sausage
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 (12”) flour tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Croix Valley Spicy Barbecue Booster
- Spray Cooking oil
- Prepare charcoal grill to medium-high heat and bank coals to one side to create zones of direct and indirect heat.
- Slice onion into ¼” slices. Remove stem and seeds from Anaheim pepper and slice in half lengthwise. Coat onion and pepper with a light coat of cooking oil and place on grill over direct heat. Grill veggies until charred and tender, approximately 5-10 minutes, turning over half-way through the cook. Remove from the grill and dice.
- In a Skillet on the stove, cook Chorizo sausage until done. Remove sausage from pan, scramble the eggs and cook the eggs in the same pan, without cleaning it out first (the flavor of the sausage will enhance the eggs). Sprinkle eggs with Spicy Barbecue Booster.
- Assemble the burritos and ready for the grill: Directly down the middle of the tortilla, place a layer of cheese, followed by a layer of eggs, top with Chorizo, onions and peppers.
- Fold the burrito by first tucking about an inch of the tortilla at the ends where the food was placed, then rolling the tortilla tightly around itself.
- Spray with a light layer of cooking oil on both sides of burrito and place on the grill over indirect heat, with the seam-side of the tortilla down. Grill until the bottom of the burrito begins to brown, flip and repeat.