Smoked Cheddar Corn Muffins with Spicy Whipped Honey Butter
Corn muffins are a perfect accompaniment to just about any grilled or barbecued dish. Our recipe for Smoked Cheddar Corn Muffins with Spicy Whipped Honey Butter are just the most melt-in-your-mouth version of corn bread we’ve ever eaten and are not only a perfect side, but an addictive treat to eat on their own. When baked on the grill over a lump charcoal, they take on the smokey notes of the grill well without overpowering and will be an item you’ll want to make with every cookout!
For the corn muffins:
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels
- ½ cup Aged White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup Aged Yellow Cheddar Cheese, shredded
For the Honey Butter:
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup Honey
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp, Cayenne Pepper
- Whisk together butter and eggs. Add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Mix until just combined - batter should still be slightly lumpy. Fold in corn kernels, White Cheddar cheese and ½ cup of the Yellow Cheddar (reserving some for tops of muffins).
- Let batter rest 10 minutes, then evenly distribute into muffin pans with foil liners (or if you prefer to make this into corn bread, simply add to a cast iron pan).
- Bake muffins in 400⁰F grill for approximately 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. After 10- minutes of being on the grill, distribute the remaining Cheddar Cheese on top of muffins and close lid.
- Combine all ingredients for butter and vigorously whip together with a fork until thoroughly combined. Serve on warm muffins!
Makes approx. 1 dozen depending on size of muffin pan and liners.