No one really needs an excuse to wrap their food in bacon, but creating Bacon Wrapped Scallops is one such scenario that is not only a no-brainer from a flavor standpoint, but the process is beneficial to creating succulent, tender scallops when on the grill. These delicate little bi-valve mollusks, when served traditionally pan-seared, only require a short period of time to cook. The bacon insulates the scallop from the harsh temperatures of the grill, slowing down the cooking process and self-basting them in rendered bacon fat as they cook.
This all-in-one surf and turf appetizer only takes a few minutes to prepare but will have your guests clambering for more. While the recipe only calls for about a pound of scallops, you may want to double the recipe if grilling for family or friends – these will not last long!
- 1-2 pounds dry Scallops (about 16-20 scallops)
- 1 pound of sliced Bacon
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare grill to medium heat of about 350°F and grill bacon slices until they begin to “sweat” and start to appear slightly translucent. Remove from grill and slice in half.
- Rinse scallops in cold water and pat dry with paper towels
- Wrap ½ slice of bacon around scallop, securing in place with toothpicks.
- Brush top and bottom of scallop with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place scallops on grill and cook for approximately 5 minutes each side or until bacon is done to your liking. Remember, the bacon will insulate the scallops from excess heat, so no need to worry about the scallops becoming over-done. For crispy bacon, turn scallops on the sides and grill bacon directly, turning frequently.
For extra flavor and unique combinations, utilize barbecue dry rubs as your seasoning before grilling. Basting the scallops with barbecue sauces or grilling glazes is the ideal way to kick up the flavor and enjoy a superb appetizer!