This dish is not only elegant, but so flavorful and delicate at the same time. The flavor of grilled chicken and wild mushrooms, with a creamy Risotto that’s soaked up the essence of the grill is one of our all-time favorites. If you wish, this recipe can be made in multiple steps and can utilize the home stovetop to make it easier for execution, but if you’re up for a little challenge outdoors, we suggest no other cooking instrument than your grill to truly capture the flavors and aromas as nature intended.
Grilled Champagne Chicken with Smoked Wild Mushroom Risotto
For the Grilled Chicken:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Split Chicken Breasts
- Garlic Dust BBQ Dry Rub (page XX) or The Duchess’ Poultry Rub (page XX)
- Cooking Oil to prevent chicken from sticking to grill grates (olive, canola, or spray cooking oil work just fine)
For the Sauce:
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Champagne
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Dust BBQ Dry Rub
For the Wild Mushroom Risotto:
- 8 oz Brown Beech Mushrooms
- 8 oz Baby Shitake Mushrooms
- 8 oz Maiake Mushrooms
- 2 Shallots
- 8 oz Butter
- 1.5 cups Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup Champagne
- 5-6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
This entire recipe can be made on the grill or for the sake of speed and space, you can certainly cook the risotto and sauce on a stovetop. After heating your grill to 350⁰ ad adding a couple of chunks of hardwood (apple or cherrywood is beautiful for this recipe), here’s how to proceed:
- Dice mushrooms and shallots and sauté in 4 oz. butter until tender and set aside (If using the grill, use a cast iron skillet on the bottom grate or remove grates entirely and place pan directly on the lava stone to speed up the process).
- Risotto: Add remaining butter to a skillet, melt and add rice and toast until it begins to take on a golden color, stirring continuously over medium-high heat. Add champagne and continue to cook until liquid evaporates (these initial steps can be done on the home stovetop or directly on the grill). Place rice in a foil pan, pour in chicken stock (enough to cover rice), place on bottom rack of the grill and cook until rice becomes tender and liquid is absorbed, approximately 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use additional chicken stock to cook rice as needed. Add half of the mushroom and shallot mixture, stir in Parmesan Cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. When done, cover with foil and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Sauce: In medium saucepan, combine Cream and Champagne, cook over high heat until it begins to boil, stirring to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to medium until sauce begins to thicken. Add the other half of the mushroom and shallot mixture, along with the Garlic Dust, cover and keep warm at a low simmer until ready to serve.
- Chicken: Oil chicken breasts to prevent from sticking to the grill. Coat breasts with your preferred rub and grill approximately 10-12 minutes until chicken is done and has reached a minimum internal temperature of at least 165⁰.
Serve Risotto with Chicken and a nice drizzle of the wild mushroom sauce. Garnish with finely diced green onion or fresh parsley – this will be a meal to remember!