Flank steak is a great cut of meat, if prepared properly. This steak is a long, flat piece of meat taken from the abdominal muscle of the animal. As it is a heavily worked muscle, it tends to be tougher and leaner than other steaks, but due to the increase in oxygen-rich blood passing through it regularly, it has a rich, beefy flavor that can be recognized by the bright red color of this fresh cut.
Flank steak benefits best from high heat and fast grilling and should be served cut against the grain to maximize tenderness. This meal is rounded out with the addition of Grilled Asparagus and some tender “grill-steamed” mushrooms and onions. A meal doesn’t get much better than this recipe for Grilled Flank Steak with Mushrooms & Onions and Grilled Asparagus!
Grilled Flank Steak with Mushrooms & Onions and Grilled Asparagus
- 1 – (2-3 lb.) Flank Steak
- 8 oz. sliced Mushrooms
- 1 large Sweet Onion, sliced
- 2 bunches Fresh Asparagus
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1Tbsp Oil
Garlic Dust BBQ Dry Rub:
- ½ Cup Turbinado Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Garlic
- ¼ cup Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated Onion
- Trim any excess fat from flank steak and lightly oil both sides. Generously sprinkle both sides with Garlic Dust and let steak warm to room temperature for at least 20-30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat of about 375-385⁰F.
- Grill steak to desired doneness. For Medium Rare, grill about 3 minutes and rotate 90⁰, flip and repeat. Once done, remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. REMEMBER: Slice against the grain of the steak for maximum tenderness.
- Place Mushrooms and onions in a foil pouch with butter. Sprinkle with Garlic Dust and wrap tightly. Place on grill and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Pick up foil pouch with tongs and shake halfway through grilling to ensure even cooking. Remove from heat and vent before serving.
- Lightly coat Asparagus with oil, sprinkle with Garlic Dust Rub and place on grill. Grill until tender, rotating frequently (approximately 8-10 minutes until done).