Originally an appetizer hailing from Italy, bruschetta is an appetizer that gets its name from the Roman bruscare, meaning to roast over coals. Traditionally prepared in Italy on a grill called a brustolina, preparing this dish of Grilled Shrimp Bruschetta over fire perfectly evokes our family’s Italian Heritage (I know, with a name like Holter you wouldn’t believe it, but the Yarusso and Landucci sides of the family would certainly set you straight).
This is not a centuries-old family recipe that made the way to Ellis Island in my grandfather’s pockets, but it is a divine appetizer that draws upon the flavors of the old country with an easy modern interpretation.
Grilled Shrimp Bruschetta
- 18-20 medium raw shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Croix Valley Garlic BBQ Booster (or Garlic Dust BBQ Dry Rub – see recipe below)
- 2 medium sweet onions (sliced)
- 1 stick & 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Italian baguette
- 2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 1 ½ cups shredded Asiago & Parmesan cheese
- 2 sprigs Oregano (leaves removed from stem & chopped fine)
- 2 large leaves Fresh Basil (finely chopped)
Garlic Dust BBQ Dry Rub:
- ½ Cup Turbinado Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Garlic
- ¼ cup Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated Onion
- Skewer shrimp. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with BBQ Booster or Garlic Dust.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (appx. 375°).
- Grill shrimp skewers for 2 minutes on each side then remove from heat. Remove from skewers and set aside.
- Sautee onions in cast iron skillet with 2 Tbsp. butter until onions are translucent and slightly caramelized (appx. 15 minutes).
- To the skillet, add the Roma tomatoes, oregano, basil and 1 clove of minced garlic. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Combine 1 stick of softened butter with 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Cut baguette on the bias to approximately ½ in width.
- Brush the garlic butter on both sides of each slice of bread.
- Place a spoonful of the tomato/onion mixture on top of each slice of bread. Place 1 shrimp on top. Top with cheese.
- Transfer to grill until bread is lightly toasted on the bottom and cheese is melted.
18-20 Shrimp Bruschetta
Keep on grillin!