The pork tenderloin comes from the loin of the animal, nearest the center of the backbone. As the name suggests, this is the most tender part of the animal, as the muscle is not used for much more than posture and doesn’t get much of a workout.
Our recipe for Cedar Plank Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Brussel Sprouts is a great meal for two and can be doubled or tripled for more. Cooking over a cedar plank will impart great smoky flavors from the smoldering wood and helps smaller cuts of meat from drying out, as it acts as a buffer between the heat of the grill and the meat you are grilling. Mild cuts such as tenderloin benefit greatly from dry rubs, such as our Chipotle Dust, that adds an element of spicy roasted pepper to round out the flavors.
Caramelized Brussel sprouts are an amazing grilled side to serve with the pork. The smokiness of the grill adds sensational flavor, and the sugars in the spice mix caramelize to create a sweet and salty outer crispness that seals in the tender leaves of this vegetable.
Cedar Plank Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Brussel Sprouts
Ingredients for the Tenderloin:
- 1 Pork Tenderloin
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Cedar Plank (soaked in water for 2 hours)
Chipotle Dust BBQ Dry Rub: (or use Croix Valley Spicy BBQ Booster)
- 1 cup Granulated Garlic
- ½ Cup Turbinado Sugar
- ½ Cup Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Kosher Salt
- 3 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Chipotle
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Ingredients for the Brussel Sprouts:
- 1 lb. Fresh Brussel Sprouts
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1Tbsp White Sugar
- 1 tsp, Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp, Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Granulated Garlic
Equipment Note: Use a Grill Wok or Vegetable Basket for grilling.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat of about 350-375⁰F.
- Brush Tenderloin with oil and generously cover in Chipotle Dust.
- Place pork on Cedar Plank and set on grill directly over hottest part.
- Cook Pork in covered grill for approximately 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145-160⁰F. Let Tenderloin rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare Brussel Sprouts by tossing with Olive Oil (Spray Cooking Oils work great for this), mix spices and sugar together and toss mixture over Sprouts well.
- Place Brussel Sprouts in Grill Wok or Vegetable Basket and place on grill. Grill for approximately 15 minutes, turning with tongs frequently until outsides become caramelized and slightly charred, but insides are tender when poked with fork or knife.