Since my childhood, my Italian family has been making Italian Hamburgers for Christmas dinner. I have taken an ages-old family recipe and elevated it a notch or two. This burger takes the flavors of an Italian meatball and combines it with pesto, Italian seasonings and cheeses and serves it up on a unique presentation for the bun, warm and chewy on the inside, light and crisp on the outside. Bon appetite!
There’s No Place Like Rome
For the burger patty:
- 1.5 pounds Ground Beef
- 1.5 pounds Ground Pork
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- ½ cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup Croix Valley Italian Barbecue Booster
For buns and toppings:
- Lettuce, shredded
- Pesto Mayo: ½ cup mayonnaise and 2 Tbsp Pesto, mixed
- Marinara Sauce (use your favorite or make your own using 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, ½ cup Tomato Paste, 1 Tbsp Italian Booster)
- 4 Cheese Blend (Parmesan, Romano, Provolone, Asiago)
- Tempura-battered Ciabatta Bun: for the buns, make Tempura Batter using 2 cups ice cold water and 2 cups flour, whisk together). Dip buns in Tempura Batter and deep fry in oil until golden and crisp.
- Mix Italian Booster with Ground Pork by hand in mixing bowl, combining thoroughly.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Form into 6 oz patties and grill over medium heat or in a 350⁰ oven until done (165⁰ internal temp).
- Melt four cheese blend on burgers before assembly.
Assembly top to bottom:
- Top Bun
- Marinara Sauce
- Melted Cheese
- Burger patty
- Shredded Lettuce
- Pesto Mayo
- Bottom Bun
this is a great recipe I will be making it