Grilling fruit can be a fantastic way to enhance the natural flavors of the fruit, tenderize under-ripe fruits, and promote natural juiciness when the heat begins to soften the tissues. Many fruits, such as pineapple, peaches, strawberries and plums, can be used for this dessert dish.
Our recipe for Red Wine Glazed Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Manchego Cheese combines the tropical flavors of Mango and Papaya with Kiwi and Nectarines and balances the sweetness of the fruit and wine with the savory and piquant nature of the cheese.
Manchego Cheese is Spain’s most famous cheese, is made from sheep’s milk, and aged for up to 2 years. The distinctive flavor and creaminess of this cheese make it superb for eating with fruit and a perfect pairing for red wines. This is an elegant dessert to savor.
Red Wine Glazed Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Manchego Cheese
- 2 Kiwis, sliced ¼” thick
- 2 Nectarines, pitted and sliced in quarters
- 1 Mango, peeled and cut into 1 ½” pieces
- 1 Papaya, peeled and cut into 1 ½” pieces
- 1 ½ cups Sweet Red Wine
- 1 cup White Sugar
- Manchego cheese, sliced into ½” thick slices
- Cooking Oil Spray
- 4 (8”) Bamboo Skewers
- Skewer the fruit onto 8” bamboo skewers and spray lightly with cooking oil spray. Spray Cheese with oil spray and set aside.
- In small saucepan over stove, bring red wine to a rolling boil. Boil for approximately 8-10 minutes until reduced by 1/3. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Prepare grill to medium heat of nor more than 350⁰F.
- Place fruit skewers on grill for approximately 4-5 minutes, then turn. Baste fruit with red wine glaze and repeat process. Continue basting fruit and cooking until fruit becomes tender and begins to show char marks.
- Place cheese on grill for approximately 30 seconds to warm. It will begin to melt fairly quickly, so do not take your eyes off of it. Serve cheese immediately with fruit. Add additional Red Wine glaze as desired and enjoy!
Makes 4 skewers.