Cottage Pie, or Shepherd’s Pie, is a dish dating back to the late 1700’s that was initially a meat pie, usually filled with leftover meats and veggies and topped with mashed potatoes. While not much has changed over the years, our recipe for Smoked Cottage Pie is a new twist on the old favorite, utilizing a meat “bowl” to hold the filling and make this a delicious treat hot off the grill!
Smoked Cottage Pie
Ingredients for topping:
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup Croix Valley Original Steak Sauce or your favorite steak sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp. beef base
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (thawed)
Mashed Potato Ingredients:
- 3 potatoes
- ½ stick butter
- ¼ cup milk
- salt and pepper
1. Mix all meatbowl ingredients. Divide into 4 equal parts and shape into balls. Shape each ball into a bowl with approximate ½ inch thick walls.
2. In saucepan melt butter, add onions and cook until onions are translucent. Stir in flour until well combined and mixture has formed a roux. Add beef stock and water. Add vegetables and heat fully.
3. Dice potatoes, place in boiling water and cook until tender. Drain, add remaining mashed potato ingredients and mash.
4. Prepare smoker to 250⁰ heat.
5. Scoop filing into meatbowls leaving ½ inch on top. Spoon mashed potatoes over top of filling all the way to the edges of the meat. Cover with cheese.
6. Place on smoker and cook for approximately 40 minutes or until meat is firm.
7. Baste meatbowls with steak sauce, cover with foil, and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 Cottage Pies